The Institute of Chemical Process Engineering (Research Group: Computer OptimizatioN of Chemical Engineering Processes and Technologies, CONCEPT) at the University of Alicante (Spain) is looking for 1 pre-doctoral researcher and 1 post-doctoral researcher to collaborate in the project: “Maximizing the EU shale gas potential by minimizing its environmental footprint” of the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme.
These contracts will be focused on the reduction of the environmental impact of shale gas associated to the use of fresh water and the optimization of reclamation of flow-back and produced water. The main objective will be to study the water used in the shale gas production and its possible treatment and management, in order to obtain the optimal configuration, i.e. to determine the most economical and least environmentally sensitive configuration to manage wastewater in the shale gas operations throughout Europe. This optimal configuration should include a combination of different technologies, combination which might change over time since the composition of the flow-back and produced water will also change during the lifetime of a well. To identify this best configuration, we will implement multi-objective optimization methods and Generalized Disjunctive Programming (GDP) approach for modelling large-scale chemical processes
Requirements: Chemical Engineering Master Degree or Doctorate, respectively.
It will be valuated experience in:
– Chemical Process simulators such us: Aspen-hysys, Aspes Plus, etc.
– Mathematical modelling
– Water treatment technologies
– Lice Cycle assessment
– Background in optimization (both with continuous and discrete variables: LP, NLP, MILP, MINLP, metaheuristics, stochastic optimization etc).
– Experience with algebraic modelling systems.
– Numerical computation and programming applied to chemical processes (C, MATLAB, Python, etc)
– English (at least B2 level or equivalent)
Call information:Pre-doc position Post-doc position
- Pre-doctoral position: Pre-registration (needed) in the Chemical Engineering
Doctorate Program of the University of Alicante (see criteria for admission phase, fees and pre-registration FAQ)
- Post-doctoral position: Recognition of Ph.D. degrees for non-Spanish degrees
Deadline: July 10th, 2015
For additional information: [email protected]